Sunday, January 18, 2009

Pheww…my first post.
It took me so long to post this first one because I had something in mind which I was simply UNABLE to put in black and white. (I wish I had Vasu’s dictionary of adjectives, as described b Vay, so I could express myself s beautifully). However, threatened, yesterday, by Vasu I thought I should just say it.
So, here it goes…

I ate and slept on my mommy tree,
All the while yearning to be so free.
I had so many legs but no wings to fly.
How much ever I ate, I didn’t become a butterfly.
I loved my tree, my shelter and support,
But I wanted to go beyond, from here to another fort.
Then one season I slept so deep
I woke up to see my wings in a heap.
Crumpled and crushed, they were all over me,
My legs disappeared, wonder where they could be…
Oh! It was divine, ecstasy limitless,
I was ready to fly, though my antenna was in a mess.

So, I took flight and glided through the air
Adieu dear tree. I moved ahead…unaware.
The world was huge, beautiful and unbelievable.
My pupils dilated…I was viewing a fairy tale, a fable
I soared all day and the sun began to sink,
I looked all around for some water to drink.
I was lost, no familiar sight in view,
Many thorny bushes, green trees were so few.
Crows everywhere captured the sky,
They didn’t let me go ahead, they didn’t let me fly.
Ugly insects waited on the trees
The cacophony of the forest made me freeze.

Then I saw colours-blue, red and lime,
Green, pink, purple, yellow, all in a rhyme.
Bright butterflies against the dark woods
So like me, they were magic to my mood.
Before I could know, I was their friend.
We played on the leaves and slid with their bend.

I was so lucky to find all of them-
I thank them each for being a precious gem.


This was for all the great friends I made in such a strange place for me. I hope we remain friends forever.
For Vasu, Vay, Ru, Sh and Pu
(I hope the short forms of your names are fine)

2 comments:

  1. Its a lovely poem snel and thank god I could finally read your first post. yippee.Its a lovely idea. you know i have been working on a piece named 'The catterpillar dream' which goes something like your poem. Oh And i second your friends forever motion. (and do call me vasu, i love it...somehow it sounds more personal)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful, dear.. loved it! so this is a part of all that stuff behind those dreamy eyes.. lovely!
    PS- we shall stay friends forever. Amen !

    ReplyDelete